Dear Juliet,
You're in the hospital waiting for your twin boys to make their appearance. Actually you're in the hospital hoping they won't come just yet before you reach the thirty-two week mark. Having two at once has its obvious challenges and limitations. I'm here to tell you that it won't be long before you couldn't imagine having a singleton in the place of the duo that is about to arrive. And they'll never know that separation either.
I sometimes walk into the room and find my twins together perched in the same spot or tucked under the same blanket. I marvel at this and take stealthy pictures. Somedays they are together all day everyday and I take lots. They are rarely in opposite corners playing independently. They are most frequently sitting back to back, or face to face, trading (and I use that word loosely, you can imagine) toys without talking. Or sometimes they are jabbering together about nursery or books or their big brother or their dad.
Before arriving in our home, I never once gave any thought to how they would be given complementing talents. My E is the game guy--he starts the games and keeps the momentum going whether the game has to do with a ball or with a silly stunt. He engages her with his enthusiasm and energy. My A is good at organizing together time--"come here, E-yi", "read this book", "sit by me." She insists on his participation. I wonder what complementing gifts your boys will be given to maintain a strong relationship.
And when they don't get along, when they bite each other's back, or pull each other's hair, I remind them that Heavenly Father sent them to our family together because they need each other. I'm not sure when that will sink in to stop the bad behavior, but I know they understand it instinctively at a certain level even at the age of two.
I can't tell you how excited I am for you. Stay comfortable.
Much love,
Your old friend
19 September 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
sweet. i keep thinking of her, too.
That is so sweet, your kids are so adorable, I love how they are so joined at the hip.
This post is voicing exactly the type of relationship Steph and I had growing up. Your twins capture it perfectly. And yes we are still reminded constantly of our importance of coming together even after all these years. And we are still together today. Amazing. Simply.
Val Nees
That was really nice. I am sure it meant a lot to Juliet, and so, it means a lot to all of us. Thanks Liz.
Thanks Liz. I know I have a lot to look forward to and you, more than anyone else, always make me confident that we can handle what is to come.
It was great to catch up on your blog since coming to the hospital. I love the David & Goliath FHE activity. I laughed about your recalling my youthful vision of you as a mom. I never would have remembered that. Even now I can only faintly remember saying that. Funny.
Post a Comment